Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Can you get a law firm job without passing the bar?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:33 am 

Archived Posts: 133
i mean like legitimate $$ jobs. do most graduates take the bar right after or work for a firm and take it while working?

Post subject: Re: Can you get a law firm job without passing the bar?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:04 am 

Archived Posts: 647
I believe (from anecodetal evidence) that most people start their job by studying for the bar. I worked with a fellow who had recently graduated from WashU-StL and was studying for the bar and searching for a job while waiting at IHOP... he was a stress case- however he mentioned that most of his peers were already working and studying concurrently

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:59 am 

Archived Posts: 1723
Most of the people I know took it while working. One of the reasons you become a summer associate is to line a job up right after graduation, and that sort of precludes passing the bar beforehand.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:40 pm 

Archived Posts: 1455
In California, general practice (for those who managed to find a BigLaw job out of school and are not clerking) is that you:

May: Graduate
July: Take the Bar
Sept/Oct: Start your job
November: Get your Bar Results.

In the past, firms would usually let you fail the Bar once and re-take in February without firing you. Now the rumor is they won't be quite so patient.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:24 pm 

Archived Posts: 901
Formerbruin wrote:
In California, general practice (for those who managed to find a BigLaw job out of school and are not clerking) is that you:

In the past, firms would usually let you fail the Bar once and re-take in February without firing you. Now the rumor is they won't be quite so patient.

From my understanding, the above is pretty standard no matter what state you are in. Feel free to correct my if I am wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:01 pm 

Archived Posts: 62
azlawlady wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:

From my understanding, the above is pretty standard no matter what state you are in. Feel free to correct my if I am wrong.

Pretty much true of the major firms. Also, once you have passed the bar your billing rate increases to the standard first year level for your firm (the 1-2 months before getting your Bar results you bill at a lower rate).

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:36 am 

Archived Posts: 1455
azlawlady wrote:
Formerbruin wrote:

I qualified my statement because the dates people take the bar and the dates they receive results vary. I believe some states get back to you as early as October or as late as December, and the Bar exam itself may be taken in July or August. But the general pattern holds at all major firms I know of.

I'd also like to add that if for whatever reason you don't get a job straight out of law school, firms generally won't hire you until you have received your bar results. So, for example, those who had offers at Heller Ehrman who did not re-interview this season will have to wait until November (at the earliest) before they can even interview for jobs, instead of getting the extra 2 months or so of work in before results are received. And if they fail the bar, they'll have to wait another 6 months.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]