Top-Law-Schools.comTLS
Home
Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums
 
Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums


All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:19 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Archived Posts: 14
Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol


Last edited by jgonetolaw on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20 am 

Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:41 pm
Archived Posts: 692
Depending on the state, sometimes you can but you have to take the extra steps to do so.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Archived Posts: 365
Leo did it.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:37 pm
Archived Posts: 185
Wisconsin.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 am 

Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:24 am
Archived Posts: 487
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.


in like two weeks of studying too.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:24 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Archived Posts: 14
Yeah I need a list of states. Because if I can do this I will not shell out any money going to Law School. :lol:


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Archived Posts: 365
iceberger wrote:
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.


in like two weeks of studying too.


But then he landed in a French prison, so...maybe not the best example.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 am 

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm
Archived Posts: 2770
jgonetolaw wrote:
Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol


But who would hire you? Also, you might pass the written exam but not qualify simply because it is my understanding that they also consider whether you went to a sufficiently competent facility of higher education.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 am 

Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:14 pm
Archived Posts: 390
.


Last edited by Lawyered on Tue May 19, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Archived Posts: 14
Kohinoor wrote:
jgonetolaw wrote:
Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol


But who would hire you? Also, you might pass the written exam but not qualify simply because it is my understanding that they also consider whether you went to a sufficiently competent facility of higher education.



Work for yourself. Private Practice never fails. Once your licensed thats all that matters.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 am 

Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:19 pm
Archived Posts: 1647
BarackObama wrote:
iceberger wrote:
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.


in like two weeks of studying too.


But then he landed in a French prison, so...maybe not the best example.

The real guy did it, but only on his third try.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: TAKING THE BAR EXAM INSTEAD WITHOUT ATTENDING A LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:35 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Archived Posts: 14
Interesting story

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/119619


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: TAKING THE BAR EXAM INSTEAD WITHOUT ATTENDING A LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Archived Posts: 365
jgonetolaw wrote:


"That's up to the person hiring that attorney," Martin countered. "It should be a free market."

:?:

Then why place the limits on who can take the test? In fact, why have a test at all if we want a truly free market? We should just make everyone a licensed attorney at birth. Senator Martin, your plan stifles the free market!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:57 am 

Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:24 am
Archived Posts: 512
jgonetolaw wrote:
Yeah I need a list of states. Because if I can do this I will not shell out any money going to Law School. :lol:


Hmm... to learn the law and to be a lawyer, you need to be able to do research on laws by yourself.
Consider it your first step to legal success!


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: TAKING THE BAR EXAM INSTEAD WITHOUT ATTENDING A LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:06 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:04 pm
Archived Posts: 966
In California you can do it.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: TAKING THE BAR EXAM INSTEAD WITHOUT ATTENDING A LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:22 am 
Lord Protector of the Forums and Board

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am
Archived Posts: 2057
..


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:27 am 

Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:31 pm
Archived Posts: 1682
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.


LMFAO


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 am 

Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm
Archived Posts: 2770
jgonetolaw wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jgonetolaw wrote:
Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol


But who would hire you? Also, you might pass the written exam but not qualify simply because it is my understanding that they also consider whether you went to a sufficiently competent facility of higher education.



Work for yourself. Private Practice never fails. Once your licensed thats all that matters.


You don't seem to understand that you can pass the written test and still not pass the bar. If they think you're a liability they can fail you. Then presenting yourself to others as a lawyer is illegal so you cannot do private practice.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 am 

Joined: Wed May 07, 2008 2:41 pm
Archived Posts: 428
Location: MA
http://www.becomingalawyerwithoutlawschool.blogspot.com/

somewhere on this page, this guy lists the states where you can pass the bar without going to law school.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:49 pm
Archived Posts: 14
Quote:
You don't seem to understand that you can pass the written test and still not pass the bar. If they think you're a liability they can fail you. Then presenting yourself to others as a lawyer is illegal so you cannot do private practice.


If you pass the Bar Exam and become licensed by the BAR then your a lawyer no matter if you attended school or not. Besides many people have taken the Cal Bar Exam without legal education and passed it successfuly. If a person is dedicated in studying the law and the Bar Review courses without attending school they can pass the BAR.


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:51 am 

Joined: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:00 pm
Archived Posts: 365
jgonetolaw wrote:
Quote:
You don't seem to understand that you can pass the written test and still not pass the bar. If they think you're a liability they can fail you. Then presenting yourself to others as a lawyer is illegal so you cannot do private practice.


If you pass the Bar Exam and become licensed by the BAR then your a lawyer no matter if you attended school or not. Besides many people have taken the Cal Bar Exam without legal education and passed it successfuly. If a person is dedicated in studying the law and the Bar Review courses without attending school they can pass the BAR.


Yeah, but what good is it being a lawyer if you don't have any clients? Just so you can tell people at your high school reunion that you're a lawyer?


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 am 

Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:28 am
Archived Posts: 208
if i recall correctly, in VA you can take the bar and get your license without going to law school by doing an apprenticeship with an attorney... but i think it takes like 5 yrs


Top
  
 
 Post subject: Re: Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:36 am 

Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm
Archived Posts: 1606
I don't want to be the asshole who brings up Wikipedia, but this is what it has to say:

Quote:
In California, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington[3], an applicant who has not attended law school may take the bar exam after study under a judge or practicing attorney for an extended period of time. This method is known as "reading law" or "reading the law".

New York requires that applicants who are reading the law must have at least one year of law school study. (See Rule 540.4 of the Rules of the Court of Appeals for the Admission of Attorneys.)

Maine allows students with two years of law school to serve an apprenticeship in lieu of completing their third year


Found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_to_the_bar_in_the_United_States.


Top
  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]





copyright 2003-2010 top-law-schools.com • all rights reserved • powered by phpBBContact TLS