Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:19 am 

Archived Posts: 14
Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol

Last edited by jgonetolaw on Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post subject: Re: CAN YOU JUST TAKE THE BAR EXAM WITHOUT GOING TO LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:20 am 

Archived Posts: 692
Depending on the state, sometimes you can but you have to take the extra steps to do so.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am 

Archived Posts: 365
Leo did it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:22 am 

Archived Posts: 185
Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:23 am 

Archived Posts: 487
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.

in like two weeks of studying too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:24 am 

Yeah I need a list of states. Because if I can do this I will not shell out any money going to Law School. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:25 am 

iceberger wrote:
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.

But then he landed in a French prison, so...maybe not the best example.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 am 

Archived Posts: 2770
jgonetolaw wrote:
Can you just take the Bar Exam without going to Law School. If so what states allow you to do this ? I hear some people study very hard for the Bar and dont even go to school. Why waste money on school when you can study for the Bar and pass it ? I know most criminals sitting in jail probaly know more about the law then lawyers that went to T14 law schools. Lol

But who would hire you? Also, you might pass the written exam but not qualify simply because it is my understanding that they also consider whether you went to a sufficiently competent facility of higher education.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:29 am 

Archived Posts: 390

Last edited by Lawyered on Tue May 19, 2009 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 am 

Kohinoor wrote:
jgonetolaw wrote:

But who would hire you? Also, you might pass the written exam but not qualify simply because it is my understanding that they also consider whether you went to a sufficiently competent facility of higher education.

Work for yourself. Private Practice never fails. Once your licensed thats all that matters.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:32 am 

Archived Posts: 1647
BarackObama wrote:
iceberger wrote:
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.

But then he landed in a French prison, so...maybe not the best example.

The real guy did it, but only on his third try.

Post subject: Re: TAKING THE BAR EXAM INSTEAD WITHOUT ATTENDING A LAW SCHOOL ?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:35 am 

Interesting story

http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/119619

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 am 

jgonetolaw wrote:

"That's up to the person hiring that attorney," Martin countered. "It should be a free market."

:?:

Then why place the limits on who can take the test? In fact, why have a test at all if we want a truly free market? We should just make everyone a licensed attorney at birth. Senator Martin, your plan stifles the free market!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:57 am 

Archived Posts: 512
jgonetolaw wrote:
Yeah I need a list of states. Because if I can do this I will not shell out any money going to Law School. :lol:

Hmm... to learn the law and to be a lawyer, you need to be able to do research on laws by yourself.
Consider it your first step to legal success!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:06 am 

Archived Posts: 966
In California you can do it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:22 am 
Lord Protector of the Forums and Board

Archived Posts: 2057

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:27 am 

Archived Posts: 1682
BarackObama wrote:
Leo did it.

LMFAO

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:28 am 

Archived Posts: 2770
jgonetolaw wrote:
Kohinoor wrote:
jgonetolaw wrote:

Work for yourself. Private Practice never fails. Once your licensed thats all that matters.

You don't seem to understand that you can pass the written test and still not pass the bar. If they think you're a liability they can fail you. Then presenting yourself to others as a lawyer is illegal so you cannot do private practice.

Post subject: Re: Taking the Bar Exam Instead Without Attending a Law School
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 am 

Archived Posts: 428
http://www.becomingalawyerwithoutlawschool.blogspot.com/

somewhere on this page, this guy lists the states where you can pass the bar without going to law school.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:39 am 

Quote:
You don't seem to understand that you can pass the written test and still not pass the bar. If they think you're a liability they can fail you. Then presenting yourself to others as a lawyer is illegal so you cannot do private practice.

If you pass the Bar Exam and become licensed by the BAR then your a lawyer no matter if you attended school or not. Besides many people have taken the Cal Bar Exam without legal education and passed it successfuly. If a person is dedicated in studying the law and the Bar Review courses without attending school they can pass the BAR.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:51 am 

jgonetolaw wrote:
Quote:

If you pass the Bar Exam and become licensed by the BAR then your a lawyer no matter if you attended school or not. Besides many people have taken the Cal Bar Exam without legal education and passed it successfuly. If a person is dedicated in studying the law and the Bar Review courses without attending school they can pass the BAR.

Yeah, but what good is it being a lawyer if you don't have any clients? Just so you can tell people at your high school reunion that you're a lawyer?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:01 am 

Archived Posts: 208
if i recall correctly, in VA you can take the bar and get your license without going to law school by doing an apprenticeship with an attorney... but i think it takes like 5 yrs

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:36 am 

Archived Posts: 1606
I don't want to be the asshole who brings up Wikipedia, but this is what it has to say:

Quote:
In California, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington[3], an applicant who has not attended law school may take the bar exam after study under a judge or practicing attorney for an extended period of time. This method is known as "reading law" or "reading the law".

New York requires that applicants who are reading the law must have at least one year of law school study. (See Rule 540.4 of the Rules of the Court of Appeals for the Admission of Attorneys.)

Maine allows students with two years of law school to serve an apprenticeship in lieu of completing their third year

Found here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Admission_to_the_bar_in_the_United_States.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]