Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Does it look bad to major in 'Legal Studies?'
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:10 am 

Archived Posts: 587
Im in the Legal Studies program at University of Central Florida, and I hear Law Schools like to grab students from a different area of study, is this true? How badly will this hurt my chances at Cornell?

Post subject: Re: Does it look bad to major in 'Legal Studies?'
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:22 am 

Archived Posts: 489
Very.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:27 am 

Archived Posts: 206
It's pretty bad for T14 schools, which tend to be very "academic" in nature, but I'd be surprised if schools outside of this care too much.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:29 am 

HandsomeDan08 wrote:
It's pretty bad for T14 schools, which tend to be very "academic" in nature, but I'd be surprised if schools outside of this care too much.

I'd say any school in the top 30, maybe the entire tier 1

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:50 am 

Archived Posts: 109
"...law schools typically prefer liberal arts majors (aqnd here I include Math and Science) over pre-professional majors like Business, Accounting, or Pre-Law. The higher up the food chain a law school is, the stronger the bias against preprofessional programs... Pre-Law programs in particular bear almost no relationship to the kinds of things one learns in law school." Anna Ivey

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:32 am 

Doesn't engineering count as a preprofessional degree? :P

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:12 am 

Archived Posts: 828
hous wrote:
Im in the Legal Studies program at University of Central Florida, and I hear Law Schools like to grab students from a different area of study, is this true? How badly will this hurt my chances at Cornell?

It may or may not make a difference in your cycle. Probably not, though. Why didn't you just major in poli sci, instead? or double-major?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:21 am 

kritiosboy wrote:
It may or may not make a difference in your cycle. Probably not, though. Why didn't you just major in poli sci, instead? or double-major?

Every source I've heard says that majoring in Legal Studies is bad for law school candidacy. I would think more people will be applying to law school next year, continuing a recently growing trend of increased applications to institutions of higher learning. This would probably be disadvantageous.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:23 am 

lukertin wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:

Every source I've heard says that majoring in Legal Studies is bad for law school candidacy. I would think more people will be applying to law school next year, continuing a recently growing trend of increased applications to institutions of higher learning. This would probably be disadvantageous.

TITCR, considering that the OP is interested in the T14.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:30 am 

Archived Posts: 210
I graduated with a Film Degree from UCF. I got into top schools.

I know UCF doesn't have a high amount of placement in law schools other than Nova and Florida Coastal, but I doubt the major will impact you anything like a good GPA and good LSAT.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:41 am 

lukertin wrote:

I think you already know the answer.
If you consider a pre-professional degree as a degree "designed to provide a specific base of knowledge for the professional degree you're assuming you'll want to pursue after graduation," then I might classify engineering as a professional degree.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:16 am 

Archived Posts: 477
lukertin wrote:
kritiosboy wrote:

Lukertin has it right...and I've heard the exact same thing directly from the dean of UMD and the dean of WFU. Don't think it's just a top 14 thing -- these places want to get in a diverse group of students who have studied things they are passionate about (their words) and have a major that gives them a broad set of reading and writing skills. Many of these pre professional programs focus on technical writing -- not exactly what they want.

However, also know how he law school admissions game works too: if you have the numbers, they WILL come to you. I've heard plenty of people say dance and theatre are poor majors for law students, but they still got into good schools.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:31 am 

Archived Posts: 3033
Legal Studies is for people who want to be paralegals.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:37 am 

waytofailself wrote:
However, also know how he law school admissions game works too: if you have the numbers, they WILL come to you. I've heard plenty of people say dance and theatre are poor majors for law students, but they still got into good schools.

I think Law Schools are looking for challenging majors that teach you to think and write critically, but they are also looking for diversity. I would imagine that a handful of dance and theatre majors add a lot to the academic diversity of a class.
I don't see pre-law degrees bringing much to the table in terms of either academic diversity or critical thinking skills, so maybe that it why they are looked down upon.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:44 am 

kilgoretrout wrote:
waytofailself wrote:

I think Law Schools are looking for challenging majors that teach you to think and write critically, but they are also looking for diversity. I would imagine that a handful of dance and theatre majors add a lot to the academic diversity of a class.
I don't see pre-law degrees bringing much to the table in terms of either academic diversity or critical thinking skills, so maybe that it why they are looked down upon.

Plus, most T14 believe that they have "their" way of teaching the law. Yale wants you to understand constitutional law the way that Yale understands the subject, unblemished by preconceived notions of con law as taught by mediocre faculty in UG. It would seem easier to start from scratch rather than help you unlearn the biases brought from UG.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:50 am 

Archived Posts: 74
Hous, what is your actual GPA?

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:57 am 

Archived Posts: 2917
Oh please. If his/her LSAT and GPA are what the school is looking for, then they will get in just fine.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:03 am 

Archived Posts: 587
my gpa is 3.4 now, when i apply to law school it will be 3.52, maybe ill double major and stay another year. My minor is political science and i guess if i double major i can bring my gpa up to a 3.7 when i apply because i could have my double degree complete by Fall 09 and submit those grades.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:13 am 

Archived Posts: 569
I'm not sure what some of the other posters are basing their assessments on, but from what we've seen in this cycle, law schools mainly care about applicants' LSAT, GPA, and URM status, in that order. "Soft factors" like choice of major, school attended, extracurriculars, personal statement, LORs, etc., seem to have only marginal benefit for those competing against others with the same numerical stats (and URM status).

Study whatever you like and wherever you like, but just make sure to get good grades and rock the LSAT.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:14 am 

Archived Posts: 74
hous wrote:
my gpa is 3.4 now, when i apply to law school it will be 3.52, maybe ill double major and stay another year. My minor is political science and i guess if i double major i can bring my gpa up to a 3.7 when i apply because i could have my double degree complete by Fall 09 and submit those grades.

Just focus right now on getting your GPA as high as possible, and then study hard for the LSAT. All other things being equal (which I realize they never are), if you apply with a 3.5 you'd probably lose out to an applicant with a 3.5 in neuroscience, but you'd probably have a better chance than a poli-sci major with a 3.4.

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:28 am 

Archived Posts: 5306
I really don't know what a "pre-law" major really is, but it seems like people might major in it because they just have a genuine interest in the law, and then they get shafted once they apply to law schools. :?

Same with poli sci degrees. I really enjoyed the law classes that I took, and so am somewhat confident that law is the right choice for me (at least more so than the average applicant), but poli sci is so OR'ed in the whole process. It's a little silly that it could've helped for me to be a philosophy major or something applying to law school on a whim. I understand the need for diversity and everything, but there's a reason why so many people going to law school majored in poli sci.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 4:47 pm 

Archived Posts: 43
lukertin wrote:

Engineering is one of the only professional degrees offered at the UnderGrad level (I think there are 7 total).

- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession ... rofessions

Quote:
Dentists, Doctors/Surgeons, Lawyers, Vets, Pharmacists, Nurses, Engineers, Teachers, Diplomats, Commissioned Officers, Professors, Priests, Town & Transport Planners, Architects, Pilots, Accountants, Physical Therapists, Librarians and some other specialized technical occupations.

Despite this fact, many law schools have negative predispositions toward Engineering students.

Quote:
Same with poli sci degrees. I really enjoyed the law classes that I took, and so am somewhat confident that law is the right choice for me (at least more so than the average applicant), but poli sci is so OR'ed in the whole process. It's a little silly that it could've helped for me to be a philosophy major or something applying to law school on a whim. I understand the need for diversity and everything, but there's a reason why so many people going to law school majored in poli sci.

Political Science, as a major, is definately relevant to legal studies but its allure comes from an easy course load. Poli-Sci students don't have it nearly as tough as engineers, for example.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:15 pm 

AllanC wrote:
Despite this fact, many law schools have negative predispositions toward Engineering students.

ROFL no they don't.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:19 pm 

lukertin wrote:
AllanC wrote:

ROFL no they don't.

I second the pinko. Where's your evidence?

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 6:14 pm 

Archived Posts: 5306
AllanC wrote:
Political Science, as a major, is definately relevant to legal studies but its allure comes from an easy course load. Poli-Sci students don't have it nearly as tough as engineers, for example.

Whatever happened to just majoring in what you like?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next