Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ] 
 Post subject: UGA Law v. GA State Law
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:58 pm 

Archived Posts: 41
I am currently a Junior English major, and will graduate as both an Honors Student and as a Research Scholar with approx. a 3.56 GPA. My practice LSAT was a 157 and I would like to attend a public law school in the state of Georgia. For argument's sake, please consider those my submitted numbers.

My question to those with more experience than I: "Which would you pursue the hardest, UGA or Georgia State?"

Also, a little side question about LROC's: "Can you send the same general letter to more than one school, or are they single use letters?"

I appreciate your help in advance with my moderately stressed and slightly confused self.

Post subject: Re: UGA Law v. GA State Law
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:02 pm 

Archived Posts: 1574

Last edited by 18488 on Fri May 16, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:27 pm 

Archived Posts: 335
sbrown83 wrote:
UGA is the clear winner here. It has a great reputation in Georgia--often perceived by locals as tying with Emory (and in fact career opportunities in ATL are about equal for the two schools). GA state is closer to Mercer--you'll have to work hard to land a good job.

right about UGA, wrong about GSU

sure, it's no UGA or emory, but it's not really "close" to mercer either. at least that's the vibe i get.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:40 am 

Archived Posts: 196
There is no way that Ga. State can be closely compared with Mercer. Georgia State has a very good upward momentum, and it does much better in the ATL market than the rankings would have you believe. With a 157, I would definitely pursue Ga State, because unless you are URM, Georgia will be almost impossible to get in.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:54 am 

Archived Posts: 88
sbrown83 wrote:
UGA is the clear winner here. It has a great reputation in Georgia--often perceived by locals as tying with Emory (and in fact career opportunities in ATL are about equal for the two schools). GA state is closer to Mercer--you'll have to work hard to land a good job.

I think you would be surprised to learn that many students actually choose GSU over UGA.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:01 am 

Archived Posts: 335
TTT 4 ME wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:

I think you would be surprised to learn that many students actually choose GSU over UGA.

yea, that and if you are a paralegal at some place like kilpatrick or alston, and you go part-time to GSU while you work, you are closer to being guaranteed a big law in ATL than most T14 schools.

true story.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:02 am 

Archived Posts: 203
Ernge wrote:
Also, a little side question about LROC's: "Can you send the same general letter to more than one school, or are they single use letters?"

Do you mean a letter of continued interest?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:00 am 

Archived Posts: 272
gclemen1 wrote:
There is no way that Ga. State can be closely compared with Mercer. Georgia State has a very good upward momentum, and it does much better in the ATL market than the rankings would have you believe. With a 157, I would definitely pursue Ga State, because unless you are URM, Georgia will be almost impossible to get in.

http://officialguide.lsac.org/SearchResults/SchoolPage_PDFs/ABA_LawSchoolData/ABA5813.pdf

According to LSAC, UGA's 25% LSAT is 156.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:54 am 

That is why I said unless you are a URM. I am pretty sure the wide distribution is partly due to URMS. Also, the op had less than a 3.6, so it would be very hard to do UGA unless URM.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:33 am 

Archived Posts: 5137
TTT 4 ME wrote:
sbrown83 wrote:

I would be.

To the OP, unless you happen to have some type of URM status, UGA is a real reach for you with those numbers.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:35 am 

gclemen1 wrote:

Concur.

However, they do give more attention to in-state, so while it is a bit of a reach, it is not impossible. That said, they are trying to raise their 25-75, but I know in-state people who got in with worse.

GA State is a shoo-in with those numbers. Get 8 more points on your LSAT OP, and you'll have a scholarship at UGA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:48 am 

Archived Posts: 246
From what I've heard Mercer = Georgia State on reputation...on cost it's a toatally different story. We report, you decide.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:52 am 

CaptainDirtyBird wrote:
From what I've heard Mercer = Georgia State on reputation...on cost it's a toatally different story. We report, you decide.

I wouldn't agree with the reputation thing, but cost it is no contest. Higher ranked school in either case (UGA or GA State) is way cheaper than Mercer.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:01 am 

Archived Posts: 465
aguyingeorgia wrote:
Get 8 more points on your LSAT OP, and you'll have a scholarship at UGA.

This is the one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:05 am 

Archived Posts: 175
Apples to apples, I don't really see why one would go with GSU unless they really wanted to live in Atlanta during law school. I will be attending GSU PT in the fall, so consider my bias. From looking around, it seems that GSU is fine if you want to work in Atlanta, but UGA would provide more opportunity throughout the state and the southeast. Not bad choices for in-state schools, however. Both are cheap.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:30 am 

I wouldn't really say that OP's numbers are guaranteed for GSU, in fact, I think they are borderline. They receive more and more apps every year, and the pool is only getting more competitive.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:26 am 

I'd vote UGA.

Last edited by aguyingeorgia on Thu May 01, 2008 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:10 am 

Archived Posts: 270

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:42 am 

Without a doubt, you should pursue UGA the hardest. That being said, part of your pursuit is to get your LSAT much higher to have much of a shot to get in. I applied to both this past year, and I'm attending Georgia State in the fall. I live (and own a condo) a mere 2.5 miles from the GSU law school, and if I'd gotten into UGA I would've gone in a heartbeat. As my friends who are associates at several different firms around town tell me ("biglaw" firms, paying the market rate), it's basically that there are "reserved" spots in their recruiting classes for UGA grads. In one case, the story was, "We have about 6 spots that will go to UGA people this year, and none for GSU." A partner at another firm actually encouraged me to go to an out of state public school instead of Georgia State (albeit, his alma mater) because "you'll be giving up $30k a year for the rest of your life. I don't think we even recruit there!" [they do, however]

As you dig deeper into this process, you'll hear a lot of "go to the best school you get in to," and while that is an oversimplification of what is a complex, personal decision (I got into 3 schools ranked above GSU - including two ranked in the 40s instead of 70s, but none of them with local ties to my target market as strong as GSU), if you want "public" and you want "in state", you want Georgia. You're a junior, you are on the surface (GPA + research scholar) bright, so bust your ass and erase the "consider those my numbers" stuff and do better.

Georgia State is a fine law school for practicing in Atlanta. But it's taken me talking to lots of GSU alumni and current students who have gotten what I personally consider "good" jobs (NB: You need to figure out what this, and "success" means to you) to become comfortable with my fate as a future GSU student, and not take the advice some have given me to defer another year to take the LSAT again and re-apply to UGA. It was perceived as that big of a difference to some of my advisors! And again, these are some of the people interviewing and recruiting for their firms here in Atlanta... As many will say (I'm paraphrasing the adage), "Going to a better school opens doors." UGA will unquestionably open more doors for you.

If you don't get your LSAT any higher, life isn't over (some on TLS will make you believe that is so). But it will be a steeper, uphill struggle for you when it's time to find a job.

Last edited by ugawarrent on Thu May 22, 2008 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 12:45 am 

ugawarrent wrote:
Without a doubt, you should pursue UGA the hardest. That being said, part of your pursuit is to get your LSAT much higher to have much of a shot to get in. I applied to both this past year, and I'm attending Georgia State in the fall. I live (and own a condo) a mere 2.5 miles from the GSU law school, and if I'd gotten into UGA I would've gone in a heartbeat. As my friends who are associates at several different firms around town tell me ("biglaw" firms, paying the market rate), it's basically that there are "reserved" spots in their recruiting classes for UGA grads. In one case, the story was, "We have about 6 spots that will go to UGA people this year, and none for GSU." A law partner actually encouraged me to go to an out of state public school instead of Georgia State (albeit, his alma mater) because "you'll be giving up $30k a year for the rest of your life. I don't think we even recruit there!" [they do, however]

As you dig deeper into this process, you'll hear a lot of "go to the best school you get in to," and while that is an oversimplification of what is a complex, personal decision (I got into 3 schools ranked above GSU - including two ranked in the 40s instead of 70s, but none of them with local ties to my target market as strong as GSU), if you want "public" and you want "in state", you want Georgia. You're a junior, you are on the surface (GPA + research scholar) bright, so bust your ass and erase the "consider those my numbers" stuff and do better.

Georgia State is a fine law school for practicing in Atlanta. But it's taken me talking to lots of GSU alumni and current students who have gotten what I personally consider "good" jobs (NB: You need to figure out what this, and "success" means to you) to become comfortable with my fate as a future GSU student, and not take the advice some have given me to defer another year to take the LSAT again and re-apply to UGA. It was perceived as that big of a difference to some of my advisors! And again, these are some of the people interviewing and recruiting for their firms here in Atlanta... As many will say (I'm paraphrasing the adage), "Going to a better school opens doors." UGA will unquestionably open more doors for you.

If you don't get your LSAT any higher, life isn't over (some on TLS will make you believe that is so). But it will be a steeper, uphill struggle for you when it's time to find a job.

Good post.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:07 am 

And on your second question, which I assume to be about Letters of Recommendation, yes you can reuse a LOR for multiple schools. Your next step (and soon, if you're sure you want to go to law school in Fall 09), if you haven't already, is to register for an account at http://www.lsac.org, including getting an LSDAS account. The LSAC site has a good explanation & tutorial on LORs, including sending "general" letters, or "targeted' letters, if you choose, to specific schools.

Send in your transcripts, and take the June LSAT if you can. If you can't, or don't feel prepared, take the October or December test. Some will tell you to get your apps in earlier - including your LSAT score - because you have a "better" chance at getting in, due to the "rolling admissions" processes most schools follow. But this is really only true if your numbers or pretty close to the medians. Your GPA is a little below, and your LSAT is really low for UGA. I asked the last Director of Admissions about my way low GPA and 1-point below median LSAT at the LSAC Forum, saying, "Yeah, but if your median is 163, then you let half your class in with less than that, right?" His response was, "Yeah, but they had high GPAs."

Moral of that story: If your LSAT isn't pretty close (or above) the median, you personally are not likely to benefit much from rolling admissions by getting your application w/ score in early. You will benefit much more by getting a higher, more competitive score in and your file complete later in the process.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:16 am 

Archived Posts: 60
Georgia Bulldogs #1.

1. Its a better school.

2. Law contacts around the state and very heavily in Atlanta and the GA Legislature are UGA grads and very ameniable to other UGA grads. This is an indisputable fact.

3. UGA Grads make more.

4. UGA has longer and better history.

5. The part of town wherin GA State is located isnt exactly Paris. High crime and homelessness. Athens (UGA) is very nice, no traffic, not crowded and the city is geared towards college students.

* Fringe benefit. Football for a team that is likely to be in the National Title hunt this upcoming season.

I went to UGA for Undergrad and Ga State for Grad School so I know something about both of them.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 11:31 pm 

Excellent posts, thanks all.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 23 posts ]