Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Dilemma: High GPA, Low LSAT
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:05 pm 

Archived Posts: 5
Hello,
I'm in need of some advice. I am planning on applying to law school next winter. I have taken the lsat and scored a 150, and this is after taking a kaplan course. honestly, i am not all that thrown off by my score because i know that i do not take standardized tests well. on my SATs i achieved only a 1110, but i am currently attending roger williams university as a political science major with a 3.95 GPA. my concern is the emphasis placed on a high lsat score, and im sure that it will be considered more heavily than my gpa because law schools believe that lsats are a good predictor of law school performance. i was hoping to get into a good law school in boston, where i live, although would not object to applying elsewhere if it could get me into a better school. what do you think my chances are at schools with a median lsat/gpa of 161/3.3? and 157/3.3? is that a complete reach?

also, are there any schools that are known to weigh an applicants GPA more heavily than LSAT scores? I am currently planning on applying only to 3rd and 4th tiered schools, with maybe 1 or 2 reach schools in the second tier. this is very disappointing for me since i have worked so hard in college to maintain a high GPA. any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks
aharvey

Post subject: You will get in to several law schools
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:39 am 

Archived Posts: 1429
With your stellar GPA you will definitely get admitted to several law schools in Boston. While a reach, Boston College is the better place to apply than Boston University, for BC relies more upon GPA than LSAT in their applications than BU. Also apply to several other Boston law schools like Northeastern.

While strive to improve your LSAT score, you should write an addendum stating that while you do poorly on standardized tests (show them your SAT score), it is not at all reflective of your true abilities (as evidenced by your GPA). This addendum is commonly done and is recommended for those that are like yourself, poor standardized test takers but excellent students. The practice of law requires the hard work and dedication that you have shown in college, so you will do fine once you pass the application hurdle.

Post subject: Thank you!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:23 pm 

Archived Posts: 5
Ken,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. My hopes at getting in to a good school have been restored. I currently plan on applying to BC, Northeastern, Suffolk, and New England School of Law, although I know that the last will likely be a safety school.

Your words about the addendum are encouraging, I was not sure how seriously it would be considered in my application, or if it would be considered at all.

You suggest that Northeastern may work for me. With my numbers, and including an addendum, are there any other schools on the second tier outside of the Boston area that I should consider applying to?

Again, thank you so much for you help. This site is wonderful and has provided me with a much more indepth knowledge of the processes involved in applying to law school, and what it takes to make it when you are accepted.

Sincerely,
aharvey

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]