Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: YO what's with HOWARD law school?? top law firms recruiting
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:37 pm 

Archived Posts: 829
I was on the NALP directory. I looked at every top20 law firm (as rated by vault.com) and I've noticed that some law firms will only recruit at T14 and.... Howard University of Law in DC. I have never heard of Howard. Worth applying to?

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_quick.asp

(really useful, check out the top law firms, see where they recruit from, what the averge salaries are, etc)

AND

http://www.vault.com/nr/lawrankings.jsp ... 2&top100=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:40 pm 

Archived Posts: 6669
I didn't know there still existed people who've not heard of Howard...

By simply searching their website you would discover whether or not you "qualify" for Howard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:42 pm 

Archived Posts: 2686
it is a historically black college.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:44 pm 

aaaaahhhhh. thanks.

LOL @ top20 law firms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:45 pm 
Princess of TLS

Archived Posts: 4341
the NALP site confuses me. I can never find out how to see what firms recruit from what schools. I think I'm computer illiterate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:51 pm 

I used Vault's top 20, but just google "top law firms" or "biggest law firms" to get a list of BigLaw firms.

Then put in the info in NALP: DLE.

i.e. if you are looking for Vault.com #6 - Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, you would do this:

1. go to http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_quick.asp
2. search "Law Firms" in the state of "NY" and maybe type in "simpson thacher" in the employer name field.
3. click on the name, scroll to the bottom and look at Campus Interviews.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:56 pm 
Princess of TLS

Oh that just takes forever to see what firms recruit from a specific school. I wish there was a site that was backwards. A site where you picked the school and it showed you all the places that students were hired from.

But back on topic, basically if you are black Howard has great job opportunities for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:58 pm 

Archived Posts: 7
Quote:
By simply searching their website you would discover whether or not you "qualify" for Howard

Although it is a historically black college, anyone can attend their law program.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:04 pm 
Princess of TLS

^^^ This is true. Many people think that if you are white you can't get in, but that is not true.

But supposedly what people have told me is that if you aren't black the job opportunities aren't as good as they make it seem. I have somewhat of a different opinion, but I agree that if you are black you most likely have a better chance, but if you aren't you are not completely out of luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:05 pm 

Law firms are not the only ones doing this. The recruitment for a variety of professions is strong at HBC's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:14 am 

Archived Posts: 6543
Quote:
I wish there was a site that was backwards. A site where you picked the school and it showed you all the places that students were hired from.

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_advanced.asp

Scroll down, select a school and it will show which firms recruit from that specific school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:25 am 
Pirate, Esq.

Archived Posts: 9675

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:49 am 
Princess of TLS

Quote:
http://www.nalpdirectory.com/dledir_search_advanced.asp

Scroll down, select a school and it will show which firms recruit from that specific school.

Wow I feel stupid. But thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:13 pm 

Archived Posts: 262
Howard discriminates against non blacks. It's understandable since it is historically black and if left to market forces the dominant student population would not be black anymore. Their stats are low because they accept blacks mainly. My gf applied for dental school there and her stats were much higher than the average but she got rejected. I wouldn't even bother applying there if your not black, it's just throwing money away since they'll likely reject you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:39 pm 

Archived Posts: 1504
Yay!!!!

I'm so glad I'm back to being 'a black'. Guess that whole 'black people' and 'white people' skipped some people...

Great college education: $100'000+ dollars
Application Package: $100 dollars
Calling people 'blacks' in your Howard application: Priceless

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:28 pm 

Archived Posts: 501
Quote:
Howard discriminates against non blacks. It's understandable since it is historically black and if left to market forces the dominant student population would not be black anymore. Their stats are low because they accept blacks mainly. My gf applied for dental school there and her stats were much higher than the average but she got rejected. I wouldn't even bother applying there if your not black, it's just throwing money away since they'll likely reject you.

:shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:35 pm 

Archived Posts: 169
Quote:

There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin. Just because your gf didn't get into the dental school doesn't mean that Howard discriminates against non black people. What does Howard dental school have to do with the Law School? That is a pretty big accusation to make against a whole institution based on the the experience of one person. Have you ever visited Howard Law? Although there aren't an abundance of people apart from African Americans, there is representation from other groups. Whether that has to do with self-selection, or Howard's policies, I can't say. And neither can you (with any authority).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:37 pm 

Archived Posts: 6830
Wow....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:51 pm 

I have seen no evidence that Howard University discriminates. Most likely, the result is predominately self-selection.

However, one interesting anecdote is the percentage of the other major group of URMs at Howard.

Hispanic-Americans:

Howard: 3%
DC population: 8%
National population: 14%

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:12 pm 

Archived Posts: 262
Quote:
Howard University School of Law is the pre-eminent "Black" law school in this country. Its history of renowned lawyers, academics and jurists make it a respected institution, transcending racial and ethnic barriers. Administrators and alumni work together at Howard Law to effectively hold non-Black enrollment to 20 percent or less, thus assuring a strong continuity with its heritage.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_74090081

I hope this is proof enough for all doubters

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:17 pm 

Archived Posts: 3471
Quote:
There are so many things wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin. Just because your gf didn't get into the dental school doesn't mean that Howard discriminates against non black people. What does Howard dental school have to do with the Law School? That is a pretty big accusation to make against a whole institution based on the the experience of one person. Have you ever visited Howard Law? Although there aren't an abundance of people apart from African Americans, there is representation from other groups. Whether that has to do with self-selection, or Howard's policies, I can't say. And neither can you (with any authority).

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:49 pm 
Princess of TLS

I don't want to be mean, but maybe your girlfriend is an example of someone with great numbers, but not so great other things. If she had such great numbers for their program there has to be something wrong with her to make them reject her. Even if they do only except 20% non-blacks, then if everything about her application was so great she would have been one of those people, and they would reject someone who was white with lower numbers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:14 pm 

Archived Posts: 1587
Quote:

Your suggestion that there can be any doubt that the school favors African Americans is pathetic. I understand that you consider elements of his post to be potentially offensive, but let's at least be honest with each other here, it's not purely self-selection. Why try to deny or cover up what the commendable folks at Howard are so proud of?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:32 pm 

Archived Posts: 893
I tend to agree with bigben. Disregarding the rest of the post, there's nothing offensive about the assertion that Howard is discriminatory in their admissions process. They are, they're quite up front about it, and they feel that it's justified in order to preserve the historical culture of the school. I see no real problem with this so I don't see why you seem to be so worked up about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:51 pm 

Archived Posts: 340
d

Last edited by indiana_student on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 330 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next