Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why study law essay - oh please God help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:09 am 

Archived Posts: 1366
This one from UConn is killing me. Anyone got any suggestions?

Their prompt is -

Quote:
Please discuss why you wish to study law. Please note that the Admissions Committee is interested in your answer to this specific question and a general personal statement will not suffice.

Anyone who has done it, any length requirements?

A PS is optional, so do I need to send in my PS and this essay? My PS kind of goes into this in pretty decent detail.

Post subject: Re: Why study law essay - oh please God help
PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:12 am 

Archived Posts: 2617
kalvano wrote:
This one from UConn is killing me. Anyone got any suggestions?

Their prompt is -

Quote:
Please discuss why you wish to study law. Please note that the Admissions Committee is interested in your answer to this specific question and a general personal statement will not suffice.

Anyone who has done it, any length requirements?

A PS is optional, so do I need to send in my PS and this essay? My PS kind of goes into this in pretty decent detail.

Well, why do you want to study law?

I'm not being an ass. I realize you can't necessarily tell the truth in your essay, but it would be easier to give you advice if we knew your actual motivation.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:15 am 

Archived Posts: 163
I think I recall you say that you're also applying to SMU.. they want the same thing and I'm having trouble with it as well. Can't you use the same essay for both UConn and SMU?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:17 am 

JazzOne wrote:

I'm not being an ass. I realize you can't necessarily tell the truth in your essay, but it would be easier to give you advice if we knew your actual motivation.

My father and grandfather both did, I enjoy it, I like building a case and I want to do trial work.

It's just when I see something about enjoying doing the research and investigation that goes into building a case, it sounds so damn terrible I want to scream.

Last edited by kalvano on Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:17 am 

Stephanie13 wrote:
I think I recall you say that you're also applying to SMU.. they want the same thing and I'm having trouble with it as well. Can't you use the same essay for both UConn and SMU?

No, SMU wants to know why you want to go to SMU, not why you want to study law.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:23 am 

kalvano wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

No, SMU wants to know why you want to go to SMU, not why you want to study law.

Nope I'm pretty sure they want both, although I'd love to be wrong since I've been having trouble with this essay.

Quote:
A personal statement containing any information that is especially relevant to your decisions to study law, which my include factors such as what motivates you to study law, what you seek to accomplish with your law degree, and how your past experiences may help you accomplish your goals.

and

Quote:
A brief paragraph concerning your motivation for applying to SMU Dedman School of Law including: academic reputation, interest in a specific area of study, interest in Dallas, ties to the area or to SMU, and personal reasons such as family, spouse, or significant other moving to, or located in, the area.

I dunno.. that seems like they want a Why law statement..

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:28 am 

I read it as SMU wanting a personal statement like everyone else. That's pretty cookie-cutter.

UConn's is pretty singular, and it seems no matter what I write, I think it sounds like trite, cliched crap.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:52 am 

kalvano wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

My father and grandfather both did, I enjoy it, I like building a case and I want to do trial work.

It's just when I see something about enjoying doing the research and investigation that goes into building a case, it sounds so damn terrible I want to scream.

lol I guess you better make up something. That does sound terrible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:07 am 

Could anyone else weigh in on the SMU thing? This is really bothering me now. Am I the only that interpreted the prompt in this way?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:49 pm 

Stephanie13 wrote:
Could anyone else weigh in on the SMU thing? This is really bothering me now. Am I the only that interpreted the prompt in this way?

The SMU prompt seems to be asking for a "Why SMU?" essay to me.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:52 pm 

JazzOne wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

The SMU prompt seems to be asking for a "Why SMU?" essay to me.

But I've already written a Why SMU essay, I just don't know what the personal statement wants.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:01 pm 

Stephanie13 wrote:
But I've already written a Why SMU essay, I just don't know what the personal statement wants.

A personal statement.

I sent them the same PS I sent everyone else. They just want to get an idea about you, like all the other schools.

The Why SMU thing, they told me it doesn't need to be long, they just don't want to give up a seat to someone who doesn't have a good likelihood of going to the school, so they want to know why you want to go there.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:14 pm 

kalvano wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

A personal statement.

I sent them the same PS I sent everyone else. They just want to get an idea about you, like all the other schools.

The Why SMU thing, they told me it doesn't need to be long, they just don't want to give up a seat to someone who doesn't have a good likelihood of going to the school, so they want to know why you want to go there.

hmm I guess I'll just use what I have, although it doesn't have anything about why I want to pursue law, its purely a personal statement. Did you do the optional essay for scholarships?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:20 pm 

Stephanie13 wrote:
kalvano wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

A personal statement.

hmm I guess I'll just use what I have, although it doesn't have anything about why I want to pursue law, its purely a personal statement. Did you do the optional essay for scholarships?

Yes, I did. I was going to write a DS for some other schools anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:31 pm 

I suppose my only dilemma then is that PS is a PS/DS combo... drat.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:37 pm 

Archived Posts: 115
Stephanie13 wrote:

same, i don't even know how to begin writing the optional essay when i've basically already discussed everything in my ps...its almost making me not want to apply

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:44 pm 

bonnieblue wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:

same, i don't even know how to begin writing the optional essay when i've basically already discussed everything in my ps...its almost making me not want to apply

omg! i know me too! I mean I still want to get into SMU but I almost feel like SMU is hardly worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:09 pm 

It's well worth it, if you want to live / work in D/FW.

It completely dominates the area.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]