Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Best Schools for Immigration Law
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:11 pm 

Archived Posts: 1
Just wondering if anyone knew of websites or rankings that evaluated schools with the best immigration law programs. I'm thinking that since immigration law is mainly federal and not so much state-specific, a more nationally-recognized school would be better in a big city, like NYU, Columbia, Georgetown, Berkeley, or UCLA. I was also thinking that since I mainly want to focus on Latino immigration (I'm bilingual in Spanish), I should look at schools like UT-Austin, Emory, U of New Mexico, U of Arizona. Any advice is much much appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Post subject: Re. Best Law school in immigration law
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:08 pm 

Hi Gigi: I am in the same dilemma than you!! I would like to know what law school research more in immigration law, I am studding in the University of Florida, and there is only 1 course of immigration law, believed or not!! the best law school in Florida (a state will high ranking of immigration). If you get some information about the best schools on immigration law, please let me know... Jean (jespinoza@ufl.edu)

Post subject: Re: Best Schools for Immigration Law
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:33 pm 

Hi, I was accepted to the Inter-American School of law in Puerto Rico. I want to focus on corporate as well as individual immigration. The school has a strong curriculum when it comes to immigration but I want to attend a school that is better recognized for their training in immigration law. I was considering trying to transfer when I become a 2L but I do not know if is worth it?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:42 pm 

Archived Posts: 31
I definitely can't speak to the "best" schools in immigration law. However, I know that Immigration law is something I've considered myself, and I would definitely like to get a feel for it. It seems to me that the best way to get experience in Immigration law is to go to a school not only with immigration law courses, but with established pro bono projects, externships, or clinics in immigration/assylum.

I only looked at UVA, NYU, and Columbia in depth when it comes to Immigration, because I made my final decision between those schools. Each of those three had a decent amount of courses. UVA and NYU have immigration clinics, and Columbia has an Immigration externship, as well as organized Pro Bono projects in immigration and assylum (which UVA does too).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:51 pm 

Archived Posts: 1582
No such thing as "Best Schools for ____ law"

The "Best" school for the law that you want to practice is the best school that you can get accepted into. Your legal training and resources at higher ranked schools far surpasses that of places like U of A, despite the proximity/interest in immigration as an issue.

Law school isn't anything like undergrad. No one cares if your program is "good" at something, it's about how selective and prestigious your program is.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:53 pm 

Archived Posts: 587
UM? I would think it would be easy landing a good job in South Florida with all the immigration law offices. Seriously, every other firm specializes in IL in Miami.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:08 pm 

Archived Posts: 3033
This thread is from two years ago. But what the hell.....

Honestly, just go to the best school you can. Immigration Law is not as complicated as other areas of law; therefore, it doesn't matter that you go to a school that has a particularly strong program. (Not that it ever really matters unless NYU happens to be much stronger than Columbia in a certain area, or Duke happens to be much stronger than Cornell).

Quote:
I'm thinking that since immigration law is mainly federal and not so much state-specific, a more nationally-recognized school would be better in a big city, like NYU, Columbia, Georgetown, Berkeley, or UCLA. I was also thinking that since I mainly want to focus on Latino immigration (I'm bilingual in Spanish), I should look at schools like UT-Austin, Emory, U of New Mexico, U of Arizona.

I don't think either of these assumptions is accurate.

If you want to work small-time Immigration law, like helping poorer immigrants bring family over, probably the most important thing to have is language ability. It just makes you more useful to a firm, and broadens your available client base.

If you want to work in big-time immigration law, which involves working for corporate clients (such as helping multinational corporations bring over employees), language ability can help but really what matters in the end, as with other firms, is that you bring in business (i.e. build your own corporate clients who use you to handle their employee's visa paperwork).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:01 am 

UDC Law School offers two Immigration Law Classes as well as an Immigration Clinic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:17 pm 

Archived Posts: 48
One of you guys said above that the ranking, quality, and/or pedigree of the law school far outweighs individual considerations of niche-specific programs (immigration law, human rights law, etc). Northwestern Law, for example, would be a better choice than a #50 ranked school, provided you are accepted at both of them. (And note that I'm not dogging or celebrating UVA's immigration law program.)

That said, perhaps there are ways to help the OP and others above to find schools well known for immigration law, within certain rankings groupings.
Like, UC Berkeley, out of the top 10 (well, out of all schools), has an outstanding IP program, I hear, and could perhaps be a preferred choice over NYU for that reason.

I am finishing up at UC Davis undergrad, and I'm interested in immigration/constitutional law. I have UC Davis Law as part of my admissions cycle, so if you're like me, maybe consider UC Davis for immigration law. I can't speak to their courses, but they have a bunch of highly regarded clinics --among them a great immigration law clinic that works round the clock on cases and advocacy work.

That's all I've got for now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:22 pm 

Archived Posts: 624
tommytahoe wrote:
One of you guys said above that the ranking, quality, and/or pedigree of the law school far outweighs individual considerations of niche-specific programs (immigration law, human rights law, etc). Northwestern Law, for example, would be a better choice than a #50 ranked school, provided you are accepted at both of them. (And note that I'm not dogging or celebrating UVA's immigration law program.)

That said, perhaps there are ways to help the OP and others above to find schools well known for immigration law, within certain rankings groupings.
Like, UC Berkeley, out of the top 10 (well, out of all schools), has an outstanding IP program, I hear, and could perhaps be a preferred choice over NYU for that reason.

I am finishing up at UC Davis undergrad, and I'm interested in immigration/constitutional law. I have UC Davis Law as part of my admissions cycle, so if you're like me, maybe consider UC Davis for immigration law. I can't speak to their courses, but they have a bunch of highly regarded clinics --among them a great immigration law clinic that works round the clock on cases and advocacy work.

That's all I've got for now.

Holy crap why bump a thread from 3 years ago?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:30 pm 

Archived Posts: 48
Why assume that the information is no longer relevant, or that people on TLS no longer need answers to this question? It's not as if people stopped looking into info. about immigration law programs in late 2006.
Besides, I saw a latest post from April 2009 and pressed on, my bad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:35 pm 

Archived Posts: 624
tommytahoe wrote:
Why assume that the information is no longer relevant, or that people on TLS no longer need answers to this question? It's not as if people stopped looking into info. about immigration law programs in late 2006.
Besides, I saw a latest post from April 2009 and pressed on, my bad.

Make a new thread referencing this one. Go straight to the point.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:03 pm 

Archived Posts: 819
maybe a place that historically attracts a lot of immigrants? If you are picking between regional schools anyway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:44 pm 

Archived Posts: 139
[img]http://pcj.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/19/parkersburg_wv_time_capsule_2.jpg[/img]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]