Law School
Admissions
Law
Schools
Law
Students
TLS
Forums

Forum Archives Index     Forum Archives Search     Leave Archives and Visit Active TLS Forums

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Anyone Interested in JAG corps?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:29 pm 

Archived Posts: 48
Does anybody know if there are specific schools that place well in the JAG corps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:30 pm 

Archived Posts: 133
what would you like to know?

schools in the top 100 or so generally do well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:04 pm 

Archived Posts: 276
There are schools where more grads go into the jag corps, but I've never read anything about them prefering schools other than you know the better the school the better your shot. I mean more people from W&M will go into jag than UC Davis but I don't think its because of JAG preference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:18 pm 

Peter:
Every year the JAG Accessions Board looks at all of the candidates and decides which ones to offer commissions to (based on the needs of the particular service). Better grades at a better school give you better odds of being selected- It's actually pretty selective.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 6:07 pm 

Thanks for the replies guys. I've heard its extremely selective (70 or so admitted yearly). I was wondering if it would be better for me to head out to one of the coasts for law school since thats where I'll be working. I guess I'll just go to the best school that accepts me if I go ahead with this plan.

Post subject: 70? for all 5 branches of service?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:08 pm 

Archived Posts: 5
I am also interested in JAG but you have Army, Navy, AF, Marines and Coast Guard ( I think) to choose from so is that number for all services combined? Also, what are your chances of getting in if you go to a Tier 2 or 3 state school? Does anyone know?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:40 pm 

if you're really interested you need to get intouch with the JAG recruiter for the law school you attend (or are planning on attending). Google JAG Corp and follow the trail of bread crumbs.

Each branch has a different number of JAG openings every year. investigate each and see which seems like the best fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:26 am 

Archived Posts: 569
I'm also interested in the JAG Corps. My understanding is that Army is the biggest program and also the least selective. I'm not sure, but I believe the next most selective is AF, and I'm not sure which is the more selective between Navy and Marines.

With the Marines, though, be warned -- you are a Marine first, then a lawyer. Unlike the other JAG Corps, you are trained as a combatant and expected to be able to lead others Marines in combat. There is also a good chance that you will be deployed to combat zones when the U.S. is at war (because that's where the Marines are). For each JAG program, you need to be in good shape; for the Marines you need to be in Marines shape.

Each branch has its own JAG site. Check them out.

Do others know if certain law schools look askance at applicants expressing interest in the JAG Corps? Are there some where it might give an advantage?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:00 pm 

^^^
That is very interesting information. I knew the Marines JAG Corps had to be combat ready but was unaware that the Army JAG Corps did not. I always assumed they both were combat lawyers. I'm going to do some research and decide where to go with all of this. I'm guessing that my best bet to get into the JAG in any branch (though combat corps is not one I'll be applying to) is to go to the best possible school that accepts me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:26 pm 

Archived Posts: 1122
yeah, I thought army lawyers had to be combat ready as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:28 pm 

Archived Posts: 280
Quote:
yeah, I thought army lawyers had to be combat ready as well.

There is a difference in philosophy among the services. The marines consider every marine to be a rifleman, this means that for enlisted men/women you get 13 weeks of basic training regardless of MOS. The other services do not place such emphasis on being consistently able to shoot/move/communicate. The other services assume that once a person makes it through Basic training that their units will fill in any gaps in the training cycle that need to be addressed. This holds through for JAG with the exception being that to my knowledge JAGGIEs don't go through basic training they go through some other program and I'm not sure what you call it.

On a different note the term "combat ready" is a fallacy. A person may be properly trained and able to react to the stresses of a combat situation, but there is no such thing as "combat ready" in the sense of which most civilians think of it. Either a soldier/airman/marine has been properly trained by his NCOs and Officers or he hasn't been. There is no middle ground either your NCOs and Officers have given you the tools so that you react well and you live or they haven't and you suffer the consequences.

my .02 cents

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:25 pm 

yeah, the combat ready term is one I should know better than to use- that said, I thought army JAG officers had to be trained and willing to take command posts in combat as well. A friend of mine decided against pursuing JAG partly because of that factor- that a JAG officer may end up doing something completely outside the practice of law.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:19 pm 

Archived Posts: 1
Hello All!

I'm not sure if anyone is still interested in the JAG option, but I can give you my thoughts on the subject (Army perspective). I am an enlisted solider in the NCNG and I am also interested in joining the JAG Corps.

I have been asking questions and doing some research and here's what I have found out so far....
....Army JAG Officers do indeed have to be prepared to go into battle. Lawyers are needed on the battlefield just as much as they are needed at home. As a matter of fact, every JAG Officer I know has a Combat Patch (a patch that says who they deployed with), but so does almost everyone else I know. :roll:

They must also complete several "combat tasks" each year simply called "Soldier Readiness Training". This keeps the tasks learned in motion, much like the Practice makes Perfect saying. When you are under fire you do not want to have to think about what to do, you want it to be a reflex.

So keep in mind that if you are considering the Army, (whether, Active Duty, Reserves, or National Guard-hence the slogan "Army of One) you will have to be prepared to deploy at any given notice as well as successfully complete Soldier Readiness Training yearly. Don't get me wrong, it's not easy but I'm a girl and I can do it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:25 pm 

Archived Posts: 851
so......let's say i want to be a JAG, but not get shot at........should i be looking at the Navy and Air Force?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 9:35 pm 

Archived Posts: 61
you wont get shot at. everybody who spends one day inside a combat zone gets a patch, even if they never leave the wire. for the last few years, the majority of soldiers (support soldiers) overseas go the whole tour without facing serious risk. i am not sure what 'combat lawyer' means, but it sounds like hot air.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:39 pm 

Archived Posts: 31
Are there any JAG programs for the Coast Guard? Or is it restricted to Army, Navy, Air Force and Marines? Or are the Coast Guard caught under the umbrella of one of the above groups?

Nipplehead, I have a friend who is looking into the JAG program as well, and from what I have heard, the Coast Guard JAG starts you off with officer training, and your main duties deal with international narcotic busts and maritime law. Since the Coast Guard is anchored to our coasts, you wouldn't be deployed into combat zones, and the only time you will get shot at is if there is a direct attack on the US. [Also, I do believe to join the Air Force, even as a JAG, you need to meet all of their physical requirements, including the perfect vision.]

BUT, this is just what I have heard, and I have not done any research to verify that info, which is why I am trying to clear up the difference between CG and the rest of the classifications.

Last edited by builicious on Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:49 pm 

Lazyboy: are you in the military?
Being a military lawyer does not mean you will not be in any danger. Do not join the military if you honestly are not willing to be in harms way, regardless of the occupation you have (lawyer down to infantry).

oh and combat patches require 30 days in a combat zone not 1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:14 pm 

ok you are right about the 30 days. as for the rest, i know what i am talking about. sure, there is risk and people should be aware of it. but 30 or 365 days spent at a desk at camp victory is not dangerous.

if you are interested in jag, dont not do it because you are intimidated by meaningless phrases like 'combat lawyer.' a phrase which i am almost positive never escapes the lips of anyone who is not involved in recruiting.

Post subject: Re: Anyone Interested in JAG corps?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:16 pm 

Quote:
[Also, I do believe to join the Air Force, even as a JAG, you need to meet all of their physical requirements, including the perfect vision.]

You most certainly don't need perfect vision to be in the air force. You need it if you want to be a pilot in the air force, but if you aren't flying you don't need 20/20 (or anywhere close)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:30 am 

Archived Posts: 393
Ahhh the good ole Army JAG lawyer argument. Well I dont now what the current posture is in theater but when I was there our JAG that was attached to us was on the road with us and had to load up her weapon and fire, yes her we had a female JAG attached to our unit. Everyone is at threat over there regardless of a desk job or patrolling the wire, there are IED's and mortar attacks all the time, regardless of your rank or job.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:20 pm 

Archived Posts: 647
are there any summer jag corps placed in iraq/afghanistan?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:35 am 

look, im not down on anyone who serves. all those who go over need to be ready in case something happens on a convoy, whatever. in my experience, sometimes we took females with us if we thought it was safe b/c they are helpful for dealing with female civilians.

however, i get annoyed at those who get puffed up and excited about playing soldier. i respect those all those who serve without stressing the 'combat' experience that they had in the jag corps, or whatever pogue mos they had.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:11 am 

Archived Posts: 194
First off, it is POG, not pogue. This is an acronym for Person Other than Grunt (11B like I am currently). Surely you have to understand that you are a soldier first and that unless you are extremely lucky with your assignment you will be going to combat and you will likely find youself out on a patrol or two (in harm's way). To answer the question as to whether or not they offer summer internships in Iraq/Afghanistan NOT A CHANCE! They would not allow you to come over here until you have attended training and you would need to be a part of a unit coming over here, which they would not assign you to. Good luck to all of you who wish to go JAG, it is a great deal and I have loved the JAG lawyers with whom I have been associated as I am an infantry officer who has unfortunately had to deal with much legal trouble amongst my soldiers. They start you off quickly in JAG and there is no looking back! Good luck and have fun with it! :twisted:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:53 am 

Archived Posts: 1684
Quote:
First off, it is POG, not pogue. This is an acronym for Person Other than Grunt (11B like I am currently). Surely you have to understand that you are a soldier first and that unless you are extremely lucky with your assignment you will be going to combat and you will likely find youself out on a patrol or two (in harm's way). To answer the question as to whether or not they offer summer internships in Iraq/Afghanistan NOT A CHANCE! They would not allow you to come over here until you have attended training and you would need to be a part of a unit coming over here, which they would not assign you to. Good luck to all of you who wish to go JAG, it is a great deal and I have loved the JAG lawyers with whom I have been associated as I am an infantry officer who has unfortunately had to deal with much legal trouble amongst my soldiers. They start you off quickly in JAG and there is no looking back! Good luck and have fun with it!

I sense your frustration. I just wanted to let you know, we all understand where you are coming from. Being in the Army would make anyone a bit hostile.

Semper Fi,

Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:15 am 

Archived Posts: 2
Here is my opinion on the matter.... again, just an opinion. If you are considering joining the JAG program, you first need to be a good student. If you think you can float by at some TIII school and qualify for JAG, you are mistaken. JAG's are deployed in combat regions around the world. Of course they are in danger. Let me provide your hypo out of common sense. Soldier A in Iraq is in a situation where he is being fired upon from an unidentified target in NW quadrant of apartment complex in Baghdad. Solider's communications have broken down due to an IED and he is taking fire. Soldier returns fire, but without direct view of target. Soldier A mistakenly shoots a pregnant mother and child with her.

Who do you think represents Solider A if he is going to be subject to a military hearing? Do you think it makes sense that the AG would be based in some remote location, fly 20+ hours, and try and collect evidence some two or three days after the fact where stories, discrepancies in accounts, and memories (due to combat fatigue, etc.) are more clouded? It is critical that AG or JAG's are on the ground and they have the appropriate training to defend their own lives and the lives of others in their unit should a situation call for it.

Having stated all of that... you can go the direct commission route, which will lead you more directly into a situation where combat is not as likely. However, if you are going to make a commitment to JAG, simply think about logistics. If you want to be an Army or dedicated (sometimes Naval JAG's will represent marines in military proceedings) Marine JAG, you are going to face dangerous territories. I can't tell you how many JAG's are in South Korea and deal with some terribly sad issues of misconduct. But to say the DMZ zone is safe is ignorant.

If you want to be an Air Force, Naval, or Coast Guard JAG, you have very little direct combat threat relative to the Army or Marine Corps. However, you still face danger in your job. In the Navy, you can be sent to investigate some critically important matters on subs and/or aircraft carriers that deal with negligence. Let me be the first to say, that the flight deck of an aircraft carrier is very dangerous for someone who is not engaged in their surroundings. Cables break frequently and can dismember you at an instant. Coast Guard JAG's have some very difficult scenarios to deal with because as a young lawyer, you are likely to gather facts in the field. This may require substantial flight time on helos. Needless to say, if you are not a good swimmer, or weather conditions are poor, the Coast Guard can be very dangerous. It is a misnomer to throw the Coast Guard in some protected category. They deal with some very substantial matters of maritime law. In fact, of all the branches of military service, unless you are going to possibly pursue a procurement law career (as a consultant or with a big defense/logistics contractor), the Coast Guard may prepare you best to transition to a top law firm following your commitment. The Coast Guard deals directly for the United States Government in International Affairs related to Maritime law. Maritime law is critical to international trade. International trade is critical to major corporations. Major corporations hire major law firms, with top lawyers in various niches. You follow the logic.

All in all, one should consider the JAG program only if they are serious about serving their country and helping out their fellow service members. Although I have highlighted some strategy in gaining experience with admiralty law that cannot be matched by any first year associate, in my opinion, your commitment is to the Coast Guard, not to your future big time law job. Also, unless you are a good lawyer, it is not going to matter what type of experience you had in the field. You will be relegated to research, with no chance of ever making partner.

I hope that is a detailed enough analysis.

RIS

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next